Clumpy is the opposite of comfy. If comfy stories should be watched beneath a warm blanket on a cold morning, clumpy stories are watched as you twist between sweat-drenched sheets on a hot summer night. There's a mosquito buzzing around your room which has already bitten you several times and you have an irrational fear of it flying into your ear while you sleep. Any story that exudes similar unpleasantries is considered clumpy.
Causes of clumpy
- The story has ugly set design (see: almost all post-Baker stories)
- The story has bad special effects (i.e. all of Doctor Who, and I say that as a fan!)
- It makes you think too much.
- It's VNA level dark.
- Written by Pip and Jane Baker
- Directed by Keith Boak
Note that clumpy stories can still be good, in the same way that some comfy stories are absolute shite.
List of clumpy episodes
- New Earth
- The Runaway Bride
- Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks
- Last of the Time Lords
- Midnight *
- Turn Left *
- The Waters of Mars *
- Night Terrors
- Let's Kill Hitler
- The Wedding of River Song
- The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe
- Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
- Kill The Moon
- Dark Water/Death in Heaven *
- The Woman Who Lived
- Sleep No More
- The Pyramid at the End of the World
- The Lie of the Land
*Denotes a story generally deemed qualitatively good by /who/, but still clumpy due to the material being highly disturbing such that it bores into your brain.